Monday, February 4, 2008

NICU Balances Zero

As of today, I think the balances due on medical providers from Truman's NICU stay is finally zero. After 14 months of phone calls, letters, fights with insurance companies, insurance companies pointing the finger back at the other one to pay, fights with providers over being impatient with the insurers, and a few weeks of telephone hold time, everything seems to finally be wrapped up. We were fortunate to have two employer-insurance policies for Truman (one through each of our jobs) as well as low-birth weight Medicaid. So, of the $800,000 or so in bills from 2006, we paid less than $100. I think I'm an expert now at navigating through the morass of insurance companies.

That doesn't mean I still won't be spending time dealing with insurance. As long as Truman needs special nutrition, therapists, neonatologists, pediatric opthamologists, etc., etc., etc.,--all adding up to more than $4K per month, I will still be up my eyeballs in explanation of benefits forms, pre-authorization calls, and letters appealing for coverage beyond the designated annual number of appointments for X or limits on Y.

As annoying an insurance companies are, thank god for them. If not, we'd be living under my desk at work, with Truman sleeping in a file drawer.

No comments: