Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Guess what Truman did!

We worked outside in the flowerbeds over the weekend, so I was using one of those insulated cups with a straw in it to drink iced tea. Truman really wanted to try it, so I let him, thinking if he can figure out how to get icea tea out of it, it couldn't really hurt him. Over the course of the day, he was able to get a few sips and promptly choke on them throughout the day. (He doesn't do well with thin liquids like water or juice).

Last night, I got up from the dinner table to grab something and moved the cup from where it was drying on a dishtowel. Truman asked for it, so I poured a little 3 ounce bottle of drinkable yogurt in it in some wild fantasy of parental normalcy. I sat back down and a few minutes later, Truman handed me the cup and signed "more." I opened it. He managed to drink all of it!! We were super excited and, of course, gave him more, which he didn't drink.

This is huge. We have worked with every kind of sippy cup, open cups, a therapeutic cup where we squeeze the liquid up a straw to him. Nothing has worked. Heck, we can't even get him to hold his own bottle. And then yesterday, he sits there and quietly uses a straw with ease. We are super excited!!

1 comment:

FFF said...

Congrats on the seems small but is really huge milestone!