Monday, October 5, 2009

Bad news

We learned today that the baby died sometime in the last few days. The doctor says this happens in less than 5% of pregnancies past the point of detecting a heartbeat. It caught us completely off guard. I have a D&C procedure scheduled for Wednesday because there are no signs of a natural miscarriage.

The baby appears to have been developing normally until just a few days ago. There are no physical markers of abnormality. Due to the timing of my delivery with Truman and this loss being after the heartbeat, the doctor is going to send the fetus and placenta off for testing following the D&C to make sure that I don't have some biochemical issue with carrying pregnancies.

6 comments:

Sezer said...

I am so very sorry to hear this news. I know the pain of pregnancy loss very well. I have lost 4 pregnancies - one at 11 weeks, one at 6 weeks, (then I had Alena) then another at 11 weeks after seeing the heartbeat, and another at 6 weeks. Please let me know if I can help in any way. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
Steph Ezerman

Evan B. said...

Oh Kara...words can't express how sorry I am. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
-Rachel Beggs

Heidi said...

I am so very, very sorry. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

abby said...

I am so, so very sorry and hoping and praying that you can find some peace.

Susan said...

thinking of you!!

Lisa said...

Oh Kara, I am so sorry, I just had time to check on you and Truman. I am so sorry for your loss. And no it is not too much to ask to feel your child move and a normal delivery. My prayers are with you and your family.