Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Test Results

Apparently I do have a genetic mutation for a clotting disorder called MTHFR, which stands for Methylene-Tetra-Hydro-Folate-Reductase. However, a heightened level of a certain protein called homocysteine has to also be present for clotting to actually occur. In two rounds of tests, I did not have an elevated homocysteine level. I also definitely do not have Factor V Leiden, which is the disorder I was concerned about and which is particularly problematic.

Because the treatment for MTHFR is relatively simple (though not remarkably effective) -- extra folic acid and vitamin B--I will probably do it anyway in a future pregnancy just in case the homocysteine levels, which are somewhat dynamic, do decide to rise in the future.

All this leads us back to knowing that due to the timing of the loss and the good genetic health and development health of the baby, something went wrong with my body on this pregnancy, but we don't know what it was or whether it will happen again. We only know what it's not.

3 comments:

Sezer said...

So sorry you didn't get an more answers. Do you know if you are hetero or homo for MTHFR? In my research about lovenox/FVL etc I've run across a lot of people that take blood thinners (either heparin/lovenox, and/or baby aspirin) b/c of MTHFR - most of them are homozygous for the gene mutation though. I'm hetero for FVL, but my doc put me on the lovenox and baby aspirin "just in case" it could help - we don't know if that is what is keeping me pregnant or not...I wish you luck - you are all in my thoughts and prayers. Try not to be too down on yourself - none of this is your fault.
Steph

Kara said...

I am heterozygous. I hope to convince our ob-gyn to put me on lovenox during a future pregnancy just in case as well.

Lisa said...

I am praying for you and hope for a "normal" pregnancy for you.