Friday, June 8, 2012

I love our kids' doctor

Once again, I think we have the greatest pediatrician. Elliott's assigned doctor was the same one assigned to Truman when he was a feeder-grower and has served as his pediatrician ever since in a Baylor NICU graduate clinic. Elliott's growth rate is slowing since we are doing two nursing sessions a day, which means that milk doesn't get fortified with Human Milk Fortifier like the expressed milk does. (He's up to 4 lbs, 6.5 ounces by the way). I spoke with his doctor about it this morning, and he said that since Elliott is still gaining weight on a daily basis, it's more important that he learns to breastfeed well than it is to grow him quickly. One of things I have always loved about Dr. Suterwala is his sense of perspective -- he never loses the big picture in the face of the daily stats and expectations with a preemie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kara,

this is Kelly Sherrill. My son Kyle was also a 23 weeker and you were so encouraging when he was still in the NICU. thank you for that! I would love to touch base by email if you wouldn't mind. my email is kellysherrill@mac.com.

I hope your family is doing well.

Kelly