Monday, January 7, 2008

Adventures in Trumanland

Environmentalist in the making? I think licking a tree gives a whole new meaning to "Tree Hugger."


CHRONOLOGICAL AGE: 17 MONTHS
ADJUSTED AGE: 13 MONTHS

This weekend, Truman learned to hike his leg up to waist level and then lean over to climb onto things. That means he can now climb onto the hearth. So, no more fires this holiday season. He also attempted to climb into the bathtub last night for both (more explanation later) of his evening baths. Fortunately, he was still too short to make it headfirst into porcelin.

I also caught him once this weekend just standing in the family room holding the remote. He was about 6 inches from the hearth, so I think that's how he pulled up, but he was just standing them, pretty as you please. I have no idea how long he stood on his own.

In other weekend adventures, I was holding Truman when I reached into a tin to grab myself a cookie Ben made. Truman grabbed the cookie out of my hand and proceeded to just start munching it. He ate about half of it. The other half crumbled onto the floor or I think he would have eaten the whole thing. So, I know cookies aren't healthy, but we refuse him nothing he desires to eat (unless it's raw or toxic or something, of course).

I also sent Truman on what turned out to be a not-so-fun adventure for him. We were raking the yard and dealing with the massive deluge of leaves a 50-foot Oak can leave behind. We had a huge pile on one side of the yard, so remembering how fun leaf piles were as a kid, I tossed Truman on top just like I would toss him onto the bed or a couch (so barely a toss). He sank all the way to the bottom, under a four-foot or so pile of leaves. Needless to say, he was not happy as I scrambled into the pile to pull him out from Oak-tree suffocation.

He got me (and his daddy) back later that evening (i.e. the two-bath evening part of the story). We had finished most of the bedtime routine, and I was nursing him to sleep when all of the sudden, he began projectile vomiting all over me, including my face, my bare chest, his own face, both of our clothes. Ben heard my exclamations of digust over the baby monitor and came running. I handed Truman to him, and he proceeded to vomit all over Ben and the floor as well. So, a second bath and second dinner was deemed necessary. Cleaning up vomit is really getting old.

We have seen a lot of improvement this weekend with drinking. I think maybe he has had Fifth Disease for longer than the usual course because it seems like all the Tylenol we are giving him is really making a big difference. He is definitely improving in the drinking category.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I bet he will love the leaves next year!

Sezer said...

That leaf story was hilarious - I am still laughing! I'm sorry that his weight is not improving as much as you would like - it is so stressful. I know it may not make a difference to you, but my daughter Alena (who is now 18 months and was not a preemie - and just broke 20 lbs) is not on the growth charts either . We have always worried about her eating enough etc. and I have finally just decided that she is small person (like her mommy).

Also, weight and growth is different for breast fed babies (by the way, great job on still nursing - it is such a wonderful gift for him). Most of the growth charts out there are for formula fed babies, whose weight and growth are quite a bit different.

One more thing (sorry this is getting so long!) - at around the same age, 11-13 months, Alena did not gain a single ounce. She was 18 lbs in May, and 18 pounds in August. She is also a breast fed baby. I think lots bf babies go through a slow down at that age.

I'm glad his drinking is improving though! But yuck on the vomit - I've been there and done that and it is not pleasant!

The Ezermans

Susan said...

yuck! and you wonder why i have no kids...i can't even handle cat vomit

abby said...

Leaf story--very funny. Vomit--too familiar to be funny.

Do you guys thicken Truman's bottles or cups if he's not breastfeeding? This has made a WORLD of difference in terms of Hallie's vomiting. I kind of feel like a spokesperson for Simply Thick (as well as one for Goat Milk---I assure you I am paid by neither lobby!) but both have really made a difference for us. We'd have kept Hallie on breastmilk had we not run out of that, but the thickening/aspiration thing was a connection none of the docs made but that we considered after a bunch of kiddos on the micropreemie mom blog had issues very similar to Hallie's.

And THANK YOU SO MUCH for the blog invite. We're obviously really interested in how Truman is doing---there are so few of us 23 weeker parents out there, and it's lovely to see him doing so well!

Kerri & Jason said...

A future tree hugging liberal??? We could only be so lucky :)