Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My Child Likes 3 a.m.

So, Truman was up last night from 1:45 to 4:15 a.m. He didn't really want anything in particular; he just didn't want to sleep. We nursed twice, rocked, laid down together, walked the floor, left him to play in his crib, switched parents, everything, until finally he went back to sleep. I realize many people would probably resort to some sort of sleep training at this point and most Americans wouldn't still be nursing at 17.5 months old, but even when I get frustrated with Truman (which is a common sentiment at 4 a.m.), I am fairly certain my tombstone won't read: "I wished I spent less time nursing and rocking my baby." And, of course, I didn't mind that during part of all of this, he was smiling as he slept in my arms. Wow, he can pull my heartstrings even in his sleep.

No comments: