Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Milk Has Run Dry



When I was pregnant, I made it a goal to try and nurse my future child for the World Health Organization's recommended two years. After 16 months of pumping and 19 months of nursing, Truman consumed his last bottle of frozen breast milk today. He spent the first 24 months of his life exclusively on breast milk and another six weeks on a mix of breast milk and whole cow's milk.

This photo is the last sad, partial bottle alone in the vast freezer that was once dedicated (along with the freezer side of another side-by-side fridge) exclusively to breast milk and completely filled with the liquid gold.

Even counting law school, I can say that my ability to provide Truman with 25.5 months of breast milk is one of my proudest accomplishments. When he was born, the only thing I could "do" for him to assist in his medical care was provide milk. Any of you that know me well know that give me a goal, particularly a measurable one like pumping 30 ounces a day, and I will hit it. I thank God for blessing me with certain Holstein qualities because having that goal and knowing that I was providing his nourishment is one of the things that me going through those long months of NICU. It was one of the only parts of being a "mother" that I could say I excelled at during those dark months. I may not have been able to carry babies, but I sure could feed them.

1 comment:

Sezer said...

What a beautiful thing you did for your amazing son. Your post brought tears to my eyes.